On 8/22/2011 3:41 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
I would agree that we cannot exclude it. After all if we take qualia ontologically, then it is hard to escape panpsychism. Let me quote Gray in this respect (he was not aware of Bruno's theory):

p. 321. "Alternatively, no such new arrangement of the existing laws of physics and chemistry will turn out to be possible. The fundamental laws of physics themselves will need supplementation. It is difficult to see how new fundamental laws could come into play only during biological evolution, or they would not be fundamental. So it is probably inevitable that any theory which seeks to account for consciousness in terms of fundamental physical processes will involve 'panpsychism'.

And not only physical processes. If consciousness is a result of computation in Platonia, it will still be ubiquitous. Only magic can confine it to humans or neurons or living things. But that is not to say consciousness is all-or-nothing; that idea was part of the magic that made it only human. When it is better understood it will be seen to occur in all degrees and in many kinds, as we see life today.