Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> Yes, but this is due to its TOE aspect: it explains what
>>> "explanation"
>>> are, and what we can hope to be 100% explainable, and what we will
>>> never be explained (like the numbers).
>> It seems to me what it does is assuming what is explained and then
>> explain
>> that this is so, while not making explicit that it is assumes (see
>> below).
>> In effect, I believe it shows that our efforts to find fundamental
>> explantions are bound to fail, because explanations do not apply to
>> the
>> fundamental thing. Explanations are just relative pointers from one
>> obvious
>> thing to another.
>
> This might explain why you don't study the argument. If you believe at
> the start we cannot do it, I understand the lack of motivation for the
> hard work.
>
> Have you understood the UD Argument: that IF we can survive with a
> digital brain, then physics is a branch of computer science or number
> theory.
>
> I think that your misunderstanding of the AUDA TOE comes from not
> having seen this point.
I can follow that argument, and it seems valid. Of course I can not be sure
I really understood it. My point is that, even if physics is a branch of
computer science in the theory, this may just be an result of how the theory
reasons, and does not follow if we begin to interpret whether the computer
science itself needs something *fundmentally* beyond itself, that is just
not mentioned by relying on the assumption that the sense in arithmetic can
somehow be seperated from sense in general. I am not sure whether this
constitutes a rejection of COMP. It seems amibigous. If one insists that
arithmetical truth can be seperated from truth in general, then I think COMP
is just false because the premise is meaningless. Otherwise, COMP may be
true, but just because it implicitly assumes an ontological fundament that
transcends numbers.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> Nu = ((ZUY)^2 + U)^2 + Y
>>>
>>> ELG^2 + Al = (B - XY)Q^2
>>>
>>> Qu = B^(5^60)
>>>
>>> La + Qu^4 = 1 + LaB^5
>>>
>>> Th +  2Z = B^5
>>>
>>> L = U + TTh
>>>
>>> E = Y + MTh
>>>
>>> N = Q^16
>>>
>>> R = [G + EQ^3 + LQ^5 + (2(E - ZLa)(1 + XB^5 + G)^4 + LaB^5 + +
>>> LaB^5Q^4)Q^4](N^2 -N)
>>>          + [Q^3 -BL + L + ThLaQ^3 + (B^5 - 2)Q^5] (N^2 - 1)
>>>
>>> P = 2W(S^2)(R^2)N^2
>>>
>>> (P^2)K^2 - K^2 + 1 = Ta^2
>>>
>>> 4(c - KSN^2)^2 + Et = K^2
>>>
>>> K = R + 1 + HP - H
>>>
>>> A = (WN^2 + 1)RSN^2
>>>
>>> C = 2R + 1 Ph
>>>
>>> D = BW + CA -2C + 4AGa -5Ga
>>>
>>> D^2 = (A^2 - 1)C^2 + 1
>>>
>>> F^2 = (A^2 - 1)(I^2)C^4 + 1
>>>
>>> (D + OF)^2 = ((A + F^2(D^2 - A^2))^2 - 1)(2R + 1 + JC)^2 + 1
>>>

>>> Thanks to Jones, Matiyasevitch. Some number Nu verifying that system
>>> of diophantine equations (the variables are integers) are "Löbian
>>> stories", on which the machine's first person indeterminacy will be
>>> distributed.
>>> We don't even need to go farer than the polynomial equations to
>>> describe the ROE.
>>>
>>> What you ask me is done in good textbook on Mathematical logic.
>> You used more than numbers in this example, namely variables.
>
> Statements on numbers can use variable. If you want only numbers,
> translate those equation into one number, by Gödel's technic. But that
> would lead to a cumbersome gigantic expression.
Yes, OK, this objection is invalid.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>> But even then,
>> I am not convinced this formulas make sense as being "löbian stories"
>> without an explanation. Surely, I can't prove that.
>
> This is like saying that a brain cannot make sense without another
> brain making sense of it.
Indeed I think brains are meaningless without other brains to reflect
themselves in (making mutual sense of each other). You won't find a brain
floating in outer space, without any other brain to make sense of it.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

> The point is technical: numbers + addition and multiplication does
> emulate the computational histories.
>
> You cannot use a personal feeling to doubt a technical result.
There is no such a completly technical result, if we use some technique that
is not strictly deducable from the axioms of the system.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

> I am not doing a philosophical point: I assume comp (which assumes
> both consciousness and physical reality), and I prove from those
> assumption that the TOE is arithmetic, with all the technical details
> to extract both quanta and qualia from it.
This is fine, yet the results is going to be a formal result, that (even if
COMP is true), cannot be uniquely interpreted to mean that we need only
arithmetic and the rest follows from it. Why? Because the theory needs some
interpretation transcendent of the theory to make sense, even of the purely
technical parts. To say that this interpretation is just a epistimological
view of the numbers is just ignoring the problem by simply assuming that the
numbers interpret themselves ALL by themselves.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

> Of course, to understand the theory you need a brain, and you need
> sense, but once you understand the theory you can understand where you
> brain and where your sense comes from.
I doubt that.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> It is up to you to show where it is used.
>> Arithmetics depends on truth/sense.
>
> This is too much ambiguous. It introduces philosophy at a level where
> we cannot use it.
Right, in other words, you simply prented the ambigousness is not there and
claim to not do philosophy. You cannot define the sense in and transcendent
of arithmetic. This is not the fault of my own vague reasoning, it simply is
that way. it is that way whether I state it or not, and this is why the
results of COMP is not as clear as you wished it to be.
it would just be honest to accept that the whole foundation of arithmetic
rest on something that is not understandable, and that cannot be assumed to
be restricted to arithmetics.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>> If there is no truth/sense, no
>> arithmetical statment can make sense. We have no reason at all to
>> believe
>> sense is restricted to arithmetics, thus with postulating that there
>> is
>> truth we can use everything.
>
> I assume that I can survive with a digital brain. This gives reasons
> to believe sense is BEYOND arithmetic, but we know by UDA that
> arithmetic is enough, and so that sense must be epistemological.
> Formidably, arithmetic provides the sense. yes: arithmetic provides a
> lot of things which are beyond 3-arithmetic: the whole of 1-arithmetic.
Arithmetic is not enough, as it can not exist on its own. It needs the
underlying sense. Arithmetic cannot provide the sense, as it is not even
meaningful without it.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> With comp, it is absolutely undecidable if the "Universe" is
>>> different
>>> from N, and with Occam, it is enough.
>> No. We need the sense in N, which is beyond N. Without sense, N is
>> non-sensical.
>
> If you agree that locally your brain is responsible for your local
> sense (like when saying "yes" to a doctor), you agree that numbers can
> make sense by themselves, like neurons can makes sense by themselves
> in the neuro theory of mind.
Numbers can make sense by themselves, but this is just a metaphor, because
that the numbers make sense by themselves is only something that we (not
necessarily humans but consciousness) interpret into them. We can only prove
it if we use our own transcendent capability of interpretation.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>> It is up to you to prove that sense is only the sense in N.
>
> That is the object of most of the papers I refer too.
Yet you don't show it anywhere. Of couse you don't, as it is not possible.
What would it even mean to sense by only the sense in a specific thing?
Sense cannot be divided.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>> Everbody assumes it is more than that. And if you say that we need
>> only the
>> sense in natural numbers, show that the sense in natural numbers
>> makes sense
>> without sense in general, or can somehow by seperated our from sense
>> in
>> general.
>
> You persist in confusing the levels. You could say to a
> neurophysiologist that his brain theory does not make sense because he
> needs a brain to understand it.
If he wants to reduce consciousness to the brain with his theory, I would
indeed say this. But we can make relative theories, but these don't state
anything with regards to what is ontologically real.
We have to "confuse" levels because there aren't really levels in the first
place. This is just a simplification within the theory. But that we do this
will not prove that the levels aren't inseperable (or epistemological
construct in the first place). The distinction between the level gets
blurred by the sense that is within the numbers, and transcendent of them,
that is also within the physical, and consciousness. As we postulate it by
using numbers, we blur everything at the start. Which is okay, as it can't
be any other way, but it should make us careful what we state about the
results of the theory.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> With you = God, OK.
>>>
>>> But that kind of knowledge explains nothing. (Remember that the goal
>>> is in finding a conceptual understanding of mind and matter, or the
>>> closer we can get).
>>>
>>> With you = "man", I am not OK.
>> Indeed that kind of knowledge explains nothing. Maybe there is
>> nothing to
>> explain on a fundamental level.
>
> In a sense you are right. That is why the TOE has some axioms. We
> cannot explain them, and we cannot explain why we believe that those
> axioms are true (except by referring to our intuition). But once the
> theory is there, we stop using the intuition, and do the derivation in
> the theory. Not in practice, but it is a way to ask a machines her
> opinion.
> If we are lead to statement looking too much weird, we can still
> abandon the theory, but weirdness is subjective, and we have to
> compare with observations.
As we believe the axioms, we cannot be sure that the axioms do not need
unstated "axioms" which go way beyond the stated axioms. That's why stopping
to use use our intuition may mislead us in subsequent steps.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> All textbook in meta-arithmetic. Gödel's 1931 paper. It explains why
>>> this is possible.
>> By virtue of assuming the meta-level that there are arguing from!
>
> This is confusing. There is certainly a meta-meta-level, but Gödel's
> work show how a meta-level is embedded in a level, and that is what is
> used in the machine's theology.
But Gödel's work needs a meta-level to exist in the first place to even make
sense. So even if there provably is a meta-level embedded in a level, we
then need a meta-meta-level to make sense of it. And even if there provably
is a meta-meta-level embedded in a meta-level, we then need a
meta-meta-meta-level to make sense of it.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> Which is arithmetical truth, and with comp we need only Sigma_1
>>> arithmetical truth.
>> You don't know if God is arithmetical truth.
>
> Of course. I don't know if comp is true.
The problem I see with this, is that God may be arithmetical truth, and thus
COMP could be true, and still God could be more than arithmetical truth.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>> Here you really expose
>> yourself. You presuppose that you know what God is! And if you say
>> we only
>> need arithmetcical truth, show that it can be seperated from truth in
>> general.
>
> Show the step you have a problem with in UDA.
This has little to do with the steps in UDA.  It has much more to do with
how we interpret its conclusion (ontologically we only need arithmetical
truth, and the rest follows from it). I might disagree with step 8, if you
insist that it has to be in the argument.
"Now  this shows that any inner experience can be associated with an
arbitrary low (even null) physical activity,  and  this  in  keeping
counterfactual  correctness.  And  that  is  absurd  with  the conjunction
of both comp and materialism." Why can't it be this way?

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> Yes. The numbers needs *more* than the numbers to understand the
>>> numbers. They can find it, in the epistemological space of the
>>> numbers. It is big, and "alive".
>> But how do you know it is just epistemological? Why isn't it
>> included in the
>> sense that is required for numbers to make sense? And this sense can
>> not be
>> epistemological, as you can't base something ontological on something
>> epistemological.
>
> Sense is epistemological, in all theories of sense. If you make sense
> primitive you are back to vitalism and stuff like that. You might be
> true, but with comp we don't need that, nor can we use it.
Then show how the axioms of COMP make sense without using any sense it all.
But even this sentence is meaningless. Of course we need to use sense to
state anything that makes sense. If you insist on the consequences of COMP,
prove that this sense is not primitive.
Sense is epistemological in all *theories* of sense. But this may just be
because there is no valid theory of sense.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

> I don't take sense, nor matter, as primitive, because the goal
> consists in explaining them. If you don't like the explanation, just
> say "no" to the doctor.
But even if I say yes to the doctor I don't have to agree with the
consequences.
Please show that you don't take sense as primitve.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>> The infinite regress is cut, fine. And then I can say
>> that this needs something beyond numbers as well. The infinite regress
>> continues outside the system.
>
> Not if comp is true.
> I think that a lot of statements you are saying are just equivalent
> with saying "no" to the doctor. You seem to refuse that your 3-local
> consciousness is related to a finite machine.
Maybe... It might be ambigous. I might say "Yes and no" to the doctor.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> We can, with the axioms above.
>> But only with the acceptance of a meta-level,
>
> The meta-level of the theory belongs to the level of the theory.
> Of course we assume journal and papers, and people, at some meta-meta-
> level. But once you get the point, you get that the theory explains
> where journal and papers comes from.
> If you want an explanation where journal and papers come from, before
> learning the theory, then, no theory at all will ever make sense. You
> are just asking for something impossible.
Right. That's the point. No theory will ever make sense unless we assume
some meta-meta-level. And since everything a theory can show is dependent
upon it, its results can not be used to show that the meta-meta-level is not
needed (or "ontologically needed").

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>> that can only be proven to
>> exist in some sense within numbers by assuming it already!
>
> All this is addressed by the separation between UDA and AUDA.
> You told me you grasped the UDA point, but I am no more sure. You do
> seem to have a problem both with Gödel's theorem in AUDA, but also
> with the reversal physics/computer science.
> Or you are just trying to convince me that comp is false?
I have no clue.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> Of course we can. The Gödel numbering is very simple. To prove it
>>> valid, is like proving some simple program does what it does.
>>> Computer
>>> scientist does that all the time (explicitly or implicitly).
>> Show me a proof that Gödel numbering is valid from the axioms of
>> arithmetic.
>> I don't see any axiom saying that we can encode symbols with
>> numbers. It
>> doesn't even mention symbols.
>
> We don't need them. That's the point of the translation.
But to show that we "don't need them", we need them. So we need them after
all.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> Then you can say that a french will never understand english, because
>>> it needs french to use an introductory book on the english language.
>> What has this do with this? The french does not have the axiom that
>> he can
>> only understand french. But in mathematics we act like within the
>> theory it
>> is only true what the axioms say. And they say nothing about encoding.
>
> The encoding is necessary for a human to understand that the numbers
> do computations and reasoning. But a human does not need to understand
> that for having the numbers doing the reasoning, all by themselves.
But this is just your assumption. The proof for this does not work without
the encoding.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>> Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>>
>>> PA understand only numbers, so to explain him the meta notion of a
>>> variable, we begin to represent the variable x, y, z, ... by number.
>> But he doesn't now what representation means. Nowhere in the axiom
>> is the
>> ability to represent things.
>
> Nowhere in the axiom is the ability to represent the prime numbers.
> But this can be done. You need to take the time to study Gödel's
> arithmetization.
I stop at the step where anything is represented, because the axioms don't
say anything about ability of representation.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> Not at all. In particular the numbers does prove Gödel's theorem
>>> themselves, and this a long "time" before Gödel appeared on the
>>> planet.
>> They just do it if you interpet this into them.
>
> Not at all. Unless you believe that 17 is prime belongs to human
> psychology.
This statement woud be missleading, but yes, ultimately 17 is prime and
human psychology and numbers can't be sperated.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> The theorem does not depend on the choice of the encoding, and the
>>> encoding exists *in* arithmetic.
>> This is just true after we have proven this. But we need the
>> encoding to
>> prove it. You are just using the result of a proof as a
>> justification for
>> the proof. Gödel clearly introduced a meta-level, that is not
>> mentioned in
>> the axioms. It is debateable whether this is valid or not, but
>> certainly we
>> should acknowledge that is is done.
>
> There is nothing debateable here. Unless you mean that all theorems in
> math are debateable.
>
> I should not have said that the encoding is *in* arithmetic, because
> this is misleading. The point is that the encoding does what it does:
> to show that reasoning and computations appears naturally in the
> numbers true relations. Such truth are supposed to be independent of
> the us (human mind and physical universe).
But the encoding doesn't work without interpretation. There is nothing in
the axioms of natural numbers that say that they can encode stuff.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> With RA it is very simple, and I don't need Gödel's theorem/ In RA
>>> the
>>> following sentences is not provable:
>>>
>>> AxAy  (x + y = y + x)
>>>
>>> It asserts the commutativity of addition.
>>>
>>> It is "easy" (once a bit familiar with logic) to build a model of RA
>>> which refutes that formula (and yet satisfies all the axioms of RA).
>> OK. Interesting. What I don't understand, that it seem like this
>> would be
>> the case with presburger arithmetics, also. But it is not incomplete?
>
> Pressburger Arithmetoc is PA without the multiplication axioms (and
> without the multiplication symbol). But with the induction axioms.
> But RA has no induction axioms.
>
> RA is Turing universal, but Pressburger is not, which allows
> Pressburger to be complete (on its additive only formula).
OK.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> Well, if you define a TOE by a complete theory, then all TOE will
>>> just
>>> miss everything, including addition and multiplication.
>>> A long time ago I have made clear that by TOE I mean a theory which
>>> unifies all the forces in nature without eliminating persons.
>>> Then comp shows that if we don't want to eliminate person, the forces
>>> in nature have to be unified through a measure on computational
>>> histories driven by some variant of self-reference.
>> OK. I just find that TOE sounds inherently reductive.
>
> Why?
>
> On the contrary, it kills the reductive view we might have on numbers
> and machines, and it guarantie the failure of *any* normative theory
> on them.
"TOE" most of the time is used  to mean a reductionist materialist theory of
everything, that's why.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> This is your confusion of level again. God is not part of the assumed
>>> ontology. It is part of the implicit meta-level, made explicit in the
>>> comp assumption, and it reappears in the mind of numbers through
>>> simple arithmetical inductive inference principles. Numbers,
>>> relatively to universal numbers, tends to infer the existence of
>>> universal numbers and arithmetical truth..
>> But even to state one axiom assumes the sense in the axiom,
>
> No. In informal theory (like comp): that is true. In the formal TOE,
> we don't need to assume the sense, no more that I have to make sense
> of my own neurons to use them. I have used them before I learned that
> they exist.
Prove that in the formal TOE, we don't need to assume the sense.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> I am not sure. Like in Plotinus, God is not among the beings, and it
>>> transcends the epistemological.
>>> I have concentrated myself on matter and mind. I keep Gods and
>>> Goddesses for pension :)
>> The problem is, the axioms of arithmetic make no sense without God,
>> if we
>> think of as God as the sense in things.
>
> Why?
> Did you go out of the classroom when your teacher told you that 2+8 =
> 10, without mentioning God?
We don't need to mention it.  But it is still there.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> Then the fundamental questions will be given to those who use terror
>>> and violence. Look at history. Humans needs to search, it is part of
>>> life.
>> Yeah, until they see that they can just find by looking at what
>> already is.
>
> You are really pleading for prohibiting modesty in the fundamental
> questioning. The goal is to explain what already is, not to just enjoy
> it.
I am not prohibiting anything. I am not sure explantion and enjoyment of it
can be seperated.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> Not al all. Matter appears from inside the universal dovetailing (or
>>> the proofs of the sigma_1 sentences).
>> This may make sense, but you can't show that matter wasn't already
>> included
>> in God. You can't use occam here because God is not reducible.
>
> Oh! Then I will say that my car is pulled by invisible horses, which
> might be also already included in God. That will prevent people to use
> Occam to mock my invisible horses.
Indeed you have a point there. Ultimately it might not be wrong to say that
the car is pulled by invisible horses, because we can't seperate the stories
about what's happening totally from what is "really" happening. All ideas
about what is happening (invisible horses pull my car, santa claus pushes
the car,the engine drives the car,..) converge into what is "really"
happening. Like the dreams glue in a way of producing physical reality in
COMP.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

> I thought you were OK with the disappearance of "primitive matter".
> You seem to backtrack a lot, and I don't see why, except you would
> like consciousness to be primitive.
I am OK with the disappearance of "primitive matter", if we conceive of
primitive matter, like most materialist do, as being unconscious. And yes, I
would like consciousness to be primitive, because it seems primitive to me,
and I want to acknowledge what is so.

?

?

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> But it finds them, without assuming them. You talk like if the theory
>>> did not work. But it works very well, up to the open problem (the
>>> measure problem, the white rabbit, the derivation of physics, etc.).
>>> I use comp as a metatheory to say:
>>>
>>> 1) the mind body problem is not solved
>>> 2) the mind body problem is transformed into this purely mathematical
>>> problem, which is partially solved currently, but mathematicians have
>>> to improved it.
>>> 3) all this fit with Plato's TOE/theology, and not with Aristotle
>>> TOE/
>>> theology
>> The theory might work, no doubt about that. I am not critizing the
>> formal
>> part of the theory, just your interpretation of it.
>
> The whole point is that the interpretation is done by the numbers/
> numbers relation.
Which just works by interpreting the interpretation into numbers.
You can say 10000 times that the interpretation is done by numbers. Fine, so
it is. Because *this is what we interpret into the numbers*.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> No. You said that it is inconsistent with classical logic. I said it
>>> is inconsistent in almost all logics, except one.
>> Uhm, sorry, I misexpressed myself. I didn't mean that it is only
>> inconsistent with classical logic, I meant that it is just a
>> property of
>> classical logic (among other logics), and thus is not absolute.
>
> OK, but to use this against the TOE, it is up to you to give me an
> arithmetical sentence which would be neither true nor false.
I am not sure I want to use it against the TOE. I am just arguing for the
possibility of a theory that is not restricted to narrow notions of
inconsistency.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> Because you use it as an abbreviation of some other statement. But
>>> when we formalize we don't do that.
>> The statement makes sense in its own right.
>
> No. If you say "I am big and not big", I have to infer much more than
> what is said. It is a poetical expression.
If you say 1+1=2 it just makes sense if I infer more than that. We can't
understand 1+1=2 apart from the fact that one apple and one apple gives two
apples, for examples.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>> I could just as well claim that
>> 1+1=2 is an abbreviation of 1+1+0=2, 1+1+0+0=2, 1+1+0+0+0=2, etc...
>
> No problem with that. In this case, the first one is the simplest,
> though.
But then your own criticism would apply to it.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> Like I said. But in formal theory, we don't clarify thing, we take
>>> the
>>> statement as definite. if not, we would not been able to finish a
>>> proof.
>> OK, but this method is limited. It just works as long as we don't
>> talk about
>> stuff that has too many interpretative possibilities inherent to it.
>> That's
>> why I critize this approach when we talk about fundamental matters.
>
> Why?
> There is no worry given that the TOE is a negation theology which
> protect machine/souls against normative and reductive theory.
Ineed, your TOE is not really ethically problematic. Still there is a sublte
reductionism inherent to it (ontological reductionism - you reduce the
ontology to numbers), which I dislike.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> You are restricting science, like the Aristotelians. You abandon the
>>> fundamental questions to the fanatics, by doing so.
>> No. The fanatics claim to have an answer. There is no answer.
>
> That's my point. To decide that there is no answer, gives the audience
> to the fanatics. To accept there is no answer YET, open the mind to
> questioning an research.
It is subtle. As long as we feel that there has to be an answer, yes saying
that there is no answer will tend to give the fanatics more power. But if we
accept that there is no need for an answer, we can relax and be open to
"answers".

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>> Just as long
>> as people think that there is a answer in words they will fall prey to
>> fanatics. They just could learn to be still and look within.
>
> No. History illustrates that the human fits the hole, with anything,
> like vitalism, primary matter (perhaps) and other phlogiston.
You are right. Still, we might evolve beyond this.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> Because to say that "the world is good and not good" is poetical. It
>>> is not a statement in a formal theory. A more formal statement would
>>> be the world is felt as good in such circumstances by such agent,
>>> etc.
>> The entire point is that a formal theory won't help much in
>> fundamental
>> matters, and even be confusing, as we are bound to use informal
>> reasoning in
>> interpreting it. That's why I argue against your use of COMP.
>
> What do you mean by "My use of comp"?  I make it precise so that
> people can find a flaw if there is one.
The conclusions you draw (numbers are needed ontologically, the rest follow
epistemologically). That these conclusions are a consequence of COMP is just
an interpretation. COMP itself just assumes numbers, but it doesn't say
whether they are ontological or epistimological entities.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> Let us abandon fundamental research. With that attitude the
>>> authoritative argument in the human affair, and its impending
>>> arbitrariness,  will continue to prevail for centuries.
>> The mistake is to think that the fundamental things can be put into
>> some
>> theoretical frame, dogmatic rules, etc...
>
> Dogma is exactly what is 100% disallowed in (ideal) science. On the
> contrary, science uses ONLY hypothesis.
> I know some scientist are dogmatic, but this is because they fail to
> do science, and come to confuse hypothesis and truth.
>
> To admit theorization is a prevention against dogma.
In some sense, yes. But ultimately, to suppose there is some theoretical
answer to our deepest question is itself a dogma.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>> Research of fundamental things is
>> continuing the error on a lesser scale. The fundamental things are not
>> really researchable, they are just seeable.
>
> ? I have no clue what you mean by "seeing" a fundamental thing.
Being conscious of.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>> (Of course I am not referring to
>> *relatively* fundamental things like quarks or something). It is not
>> wrong
>> to do research on it, or make dogma out of it, but it is not going
>> to lead
>> us to where we want to be.
>
> I am not sure what you are defending. I worry because it looks like
> pseudo-religious critics of the scientific inquiry.
I defend the idea that scientifc inquiry will not provide us with
fundamental answers, just as religion, or any other belief. Fundamental
"answers" are to be found in direct experience of reality (which itself need
not be a belief).

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> Not at all. That is the case for those who confuse science and truth,
>>> but science is just modesty and clarity. It is *the* place where
>>> people (or their students) can admit having been wrong. That happens
>>> rarely in philosophy and current theology.
>> Modesty and clarity are great. But maybe we should make place in
>> science for
>> less rigorous methods then these that are accepted now.
>
> The more you are rigorous, the less you are manipulable, and the more
> you are free.
> If the human science were rigorous, the human would be much more free,
> and I think happy and living well.
Hm, I disagree. Both rigor and non-rigor have a place, in my opinion.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> I have no clue why, unless you postulate some non-comp theory.
>> Because in COMP, too, the consciousness may already be presumed in
>> sense
>> that is needed for anything to make sense, including numbers.
>
> COMP is an assumption of invariance of consciousness for digital
> substitution of a body/brain/universe. It certainly assumes
> consciousness.
> Then the reasoning explain how comp leads to an explanation of how
> consciousness "appears" (not in time, but in a logical frame).
I doubt it explains this.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

> Just that current humans still look for authoritative arguments, in
> all direction. I'm afraid I will have to come back next millennium.
You are right. I am more optimistic, though, I would advise you to take a
shot next century ;).