On Sep 1, 7:52 pm, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> >> without reference to a soul, then your analogy is wrong - it is not like a
> >> shadow.  If it is like a shadow then it's behavior must differ from that
> >> predicted by
> >> physics and chemistry and in spite of your denials are you assuming a
> >> violation of know
> >> physics by an immaterial mind or soul.
> > Physics and chemistry have no predictions about the brain's behavior.
>
> Sure they do.  Cool it off and it stops working.  Stimulate a neuron and ion
> channels open
> on it's axon and a electro-chemical pulse is transmitted.  Add a
> cholinesterase inhibitor
> and the synapse stops working - or the whole brain if you add very much.

Those aren't predictions, they're observations. We would have no way
of knowing that should be axons or ion channels based upon properties
of molecules alone. The whole idea of a neuron or a cell is outside of
the scope of what could be anticipated by mathematical chemical
interactions alone.

> > There is no physical law which makes human brains an inevitable
> > consequence of organic chemistry.
>
> No, but they are probable consequence of evolution.

There isn't really a such thing as a probable consequence of
'evolution' in general. Evolution is a reverse engineering analysis of
heredity. Organisms in specific evolutionary niches being selected for
their fitness relative to their niche. A human brain is not a probable
consequence of anything, it's not even a possible consequence of
anything other than the precise historical events which lead to it's
development. It's not as if human brains will just pop up if you don't
vacuum the floor often enough.

> > We can only look at what has evolved
> > biologically and understand what it is in physical-chemical terms, but
> > those terms by no means explain what the brain is for.
>
> Sure they do.  A brain is a bunch of interacting neurons.  You can trace it's
> evolutionary
> development just like you can trace the development of legs or wings or
> hearts or
> kidneys.  Do you pretend we don't know what those organs are for?

Those organs are for the life of the organism as a whole. They cannot
be explained in non-biological terms of groups of atoms and molecules,
any more than a movie can be understood in terms of video compression
algorithms.

> > What you are telling me is that either color television is magic or it
> > has to show up on a black and white TV. I reject that false dichotomy.
> > Physics and chemistry alone are not sufficient to understand the
> > relation between the self and the brain. Any presumption that they
> > could be represents a fanatical reductionism propped up by circular
> > reasoning.
>
> Maybe, maybe not.  It's not a presumption; it's a working hypothesis that
> physics and
> chemistry are sufficient to explain the physical and chemical processes of
> the brain.
> That no soul or spirit is needed to provide libertarian free will.  Maybe
> that's not true
> - but to simply assert it's not true, as you do, seems more like fanaticism
> to me.

So what physical or chemical process specifically causes libertarian
free will? Can it make a fire hydrant have free will? What is the
minimum criteria to instantiate this physical process?

I'm not just asserting that it's not true, I'm explaining over and
over why it's not true and giving straightforward analogies to help
make the point.

> It explained why we have lots of feeling on the outside as compared to the
> inside.  What
> does your soul-theory have to say about it - skin cells have more
> sensiormotive
> topological morphology?

I have no soul-theory. My hypothesis posits a primitive sensorimotive
topology to physics with specific characteristics.

We don't feel anything outside of our body directly, we feel our body
tissues feelings through our nervous system's feelings, of which we
are a part. We are the feelings of our nervous system. All of our
feeling and sensation is on the inside of our nervous system, but the
nature of sensation is such that what is doing the sensing imitates
that which is being sensed.

We have tactile feelings which correspond to our skin receptors,
visual feelings which correspond to our retina, aural feelings from
our inner ear, etc. We have lots of other senses as well, kinesthetic,
vestibular, olfactory, gustatory, but also cognitive sense, emotional
sense, moral sense, common sense, social senses, etc etc. It's all
different kinds of pattern recognition drawing on different
extractions of sensorimotive experience.

> You switch back and forth.

No, I don't but it's completely understandable that most people are
going to think that I am, because it's a new concept entirely.

> On the one hand you assert that brain cells feel things
> because it's inherent in biological cells.  Now you assert cells of the
> immune system
> don't feel anything. How do you know they don't?  How do you know the brain
> cells do?
> It's magic.

Whenever you mention magic, then I know you aren't understanding what
I mean. I don't mind the accusation (because it's exactly the kind of
sentimental and unscientific objection that my model predicts from
substance monism), but it tells me that I might not be communicating
the idea well. I intentionally avoid controversial areas of
consciousness - near death experiences, psychic awareness, ESP, etc,
because they are not necessary to my hypothesis. I only deal with
ordinary human experience reproducible under typical conditions of
human life.

The concept is:

Yes - brain cells feel things because it's inherent in biological
cells.

Cells that are not part of the brain feel things too, but we don't
feel them because we aren't the feelings of those cells, we are the
feelings of the cells of certain regions of our brain. The complicated
part is that nervous system cells are specially engineered to de-
emphasize their own sense so that it is translucent to the sense of
the body and of the outside world through the sense organs of the
body. Just like a computer is like a giant silicon molecule, the
nervous system exploits the electrolytic aspects of biology to make
the equivalent of a giant cell process of the entire organism.

So yes, it is tricky, but it would be tricky to describe a system that
you are in fact part of. You can't treat it like a voyeur studying it
in an anatomy class. Our cells have private experiences, but our
nervous system's private experiences (our lives) are only based upon
amplifications of some kinds of feelings of some groups of cells. We
feel our tongue, we taste what our taste buds taste, but we don't feel
or taste our kidneys. Our kidneys do though. Not in our nervous
system's qualia of flavors and tactile sensation probably, but in very
precise physiological-biochemical qualia.

> Or it's easily explained by as a result of evolving a self-image to do the
> feeling that's
> relevant to action.

Self-image? Is that another metaphysical abstraction that somehow
lives inside of particle physics and chemistry?

> >> The need for agents to sense feelings is metaphysical - it is spiritualism.
> > And the idea of feelings without an agent to feel them is somehow less
> > metaphysical? That's funny. Or, I guess I should say - there is
> > funnyness...somewhere. Or nowhere? Anywhere?
>
> You're making stuff up again.  I didn't say materialism was not metaphysics -
> it is.  But
> so is your theory.

If you admit it's metaphysics than I don't have a problem with it.
Then it is truly a matter of taste. The only difference then is that I
see my metaphysics as a direct antipode to physics in a precisely
comprehensible symmetry, while you are okay with a more ad hoc
metaphysics of information and models, connections, forces, etc. I'm
cool with that, I'm just presenting another way to tie it all together
so it makes sense as a whole without any loose ends.

> >> Really?  Can you will yourself to be sad, happy, satisfied?  I don't think
> >> so.
> > Of course you can. If you imagine something terrible happening to
> > someone you care about, you will yourself to be sad. Some people do it
> > for a living, they are called actors. Sorry to be snide, I don't mean
> > it to you personally, I'm just responding to the lameness of substance
> > monism.
>
> But that's not just willing.  That's recalling or imagining some interaction
> with your
> environment.  Drugs can make you happy or sad without any reference to the
> environment.

But recalling or imagining environmental references can make you happy
or sad without any drugs. It's symmetrical (non) supervenience.

> >> We have an excellent reason to imagine that.  Namely the same reason we
> >> imagine other do;
> >> as we did for millenia without knowing what was inside of them (or
> >> ourselves).
> > We imagine others do because they are walking around in the same
> > bodies we are.
>
> But they are not all the same.  Do you think dogs have qualia?  Chimpanzees?
> Irishmen?

Sure, everything has qualia. They probably overlap and underlap:
A=dogs, B= chimpanzees, C=chimpanzees who have been abused, etc.

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lozwzd3q7U1qzxfy9o1_500.png

> > We can have sex with them and make babies. What does a
> > baby silicon brain look like? Not as cute probably.
>
> Not as cute as what?  Have you seen a babies brain?  How do you know babies
> don't have
> silicon brains?

I'm comparing a silicon brain to a baby, not to a baby's brain (since
a computer has no other body than it's silicon hardware). How do I
know babies don't have silicon brains? Um, I guess because we would
have heard that neurologists had noted that when they do surgery on
babies they find computers in there instead of brains.

> >> Unsupported and unreasoned assertions.  Dogma of spiritualism.
> > So you think that your computer is looking at you through the monitor
> > and will learn to recognize your face eventually? Somehow my pointing
> > out the absurdity of that is spiritualism??
>
> My computer can see me through a camera and it recognizes my face as a
> security measure.

No, your computer can't see anything. It wouldn't know the difference
between your face and a flash drive with the right software plugged
into the usb where the camera is supposed to be.

> Brent
> The poor dog, in life the the firmest friend,
> The first to welcome, foremost to defend,
> Whose honest heart is still the master's own,
> Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,
> Unhonour'd falls, unnoticed all his worth,
> Denied in heaven the soul he held on earth,
> While man, vain insect hopes to be forgiven,
> And claims himself a sole exclusive heaven.
>     -- Lord Byron, Inscription on the monument of his
> Newfoundland dog, 1808

cool. not much of a dog person personally, but I'm a seasoned
misanthrope.

Craig