On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru> wrote:

>> The atoms have to move in order to write the book. They have to move
>> inside the brain of the author, then his hands have to move, the
>> keys on the computer keyboard move, and so on. Also, things have to
>> happen prior to the book being written. The universe arises, stars
>> and planets form, life evolves, the author is born, photons from
>> books he has read on consciousness impact on his retina which then
>> leads to reactions in his visual cortex and language centre. It's all
>> very complex, of course, but there is a causal chain of events. If
>
> Well, this was my question, to specify this casual chain of events.
> Especially how movement of atoms creates conscious experience. Otherwise
> this is just a matter of belief.

If it isn't the physical processes in the brain causing consciousness
it must be something else, i.e. something non-physical, conveniently
called a soul. The soul should be empirically detectable if it has an
effect on the body. It would be detectable by observing that
apparently magical physical processes occur in the brain, such as an
ion channel opening for no reason at all. We have no evidence of such
things happening. If the soul had no effect on the body but simply
mirrored its behaviour we would not have any empirical evidence for it
but as a hypothesis it should be eliminated by Occam's Razor.

>> you had the right physical theory and enough computing power you
>> could start with the Big Bang, run a computer simulation and end up
>> with the book. Quantum mechanics does not preclude such a
>> simulation.
>>

> This is also just a matter of belief, as you cannot prove it.
>
> I like more science based on experimental studies. From such a viewpoint,
> all we can say now is that we do not know this. Or can you prove your
> viewpoint based on empirical studies?

While it is not known if physics involves uncomputable functions, all
of known physics is computable.

--
Stathis Papaioannou