On 05.09.2011 07:59 Stathis Papaioannou said the following:
On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 4:32 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi<use...@rudnyi.ru>
wrote:

Hence you could take the existence of people in the USA who
"believe in an immaterial spirit, distinct from brain
processes" positively. After all, they are working hard and
contribute to prosperity.

In any case, I do not think that the ideology should affect
reasoning.

It does affect reasoning, that's the problem. A religious person
usually can't say what evidence would make them change their
religious views, because they are views they hold without
evidence.

A dialog from lectures of Prof Hoenen:

A physicist comes to a theologian: "You know, I have checked
everything from an elementary particle to the Universe. God does
not exist, as I have not found him."

A theologian: "You have done your job well. I would be really
surprised if you could find the God."

Insofar as religion makes no predictions about the world it cannot
be proved or disproved. But when it does make predictions, for
example that the Earth is 6000 years old, usually believers cannot
say what evidence they would accept that this belief of theirs is
wrong.

Religion is based on beliefs and it says it explicitly. Many of your statements are also based on your beliefs. The difference is that you do not want to list your beliefs explicitly.

Do not also forget what what Bruno says about theology. I
personally agree with him because as long as we leave the empirical
basis, we start using our beliefs.

Finally imagine that you are a boss of a company. Could you be
successful if you believe that everything is determined by the
initial conditions of the Universe?

Yes, of course, it shouldn't influence your decisions at all.

This statement is a good example of a belief, as you cannot prove it empirically. You cannot employ it for predictions as well. Hence what is the difference with a belief in the God?

Evgenii