On Sep 13, 3:53 am, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
> On 12 Sep 2011, at 22:16, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>
> >> This sounds like a rejection of the mind-brain identity thesis,
> >> which is
> >> what functionalism / computationalism do. (Jason Resch)
>
> > It's a rejection of a simplistic version of the mind-brain identity
> > thesis in favor of my own sense-essence-existence identity thesis.
>
> Which is worst than the mind-brain identity thesis, which does NOT
> work with comp, except in the relative way.
> If my consciousness remains unchanged in a digital substitution, *my*
> consciousness will be ontically attached to an infinity of
> computations defined by the arithmetical relations:

What is attaching it? Why do the computations need your consciousness
to enact their arithmetical relations? It seems to me like expecting a
symphony to happen by transcribing the associated sheet music.

> this explains
> where the appearances of physical reality comes from, and is, I think,
> the first simple explanations of most of the quantum weirdness (the
> appearance of the many-realities, indeterminacy, non cloning of
> matter, and non locality, and the math explains the notion of
> entanglement).

I agree it could explain the physical reality that we can observe and
measure, but it doesn't really explain the experiences of being
physically real.

> And the theory of mind is rather natural too, the mind is all what a
> machine can discover by introspection.

To me, what a machine can discover by introspection is precisely
nothing. By itself, a machine has no experience or introspection. It's
the enactment of the machine in mass-energy timespace which makes
introspection possible in the exact specifications generated by the
relation between the machine and the material enactment.

> That contains public sharable
> pieces, (quanta) and non sharable pieces (qualia).

My hypothesis agrees with that, although I would not say that qualia
is non sharable (otherwise we could not communicate) but that
qualitative sense is propagated privately (which is already a sharing
of neurological, biological, and physical levels of experience) and
shared intersubjectively.

> I mean we can conserve one half of the mind-brain identity thesis
> (brain ---> mind), but we have to abandon (mind ---> brain) for (mind
> ---> infinity of brainS).

I agree, all human minds ---> infinity of individual brains, but any
particular human mind is ordinarily only available through a single
brain. We don't have our mind fall into our shoes after a car
accident. If mind were so independent of brain, I would expect that
incidents of disembodied minds would be commonplace.

Craig