On 1/21/2012 12:43 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
On 1/20/2012 12:47 PM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
On 20.01.2012 21:28 John Clark said the following:
On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 Evgenii Rudnyi<use...@rudnyi.ru> wrote:

" What about Big Bang?"

What about Big Bang?

" It has also happened for a reason?"

I have no idea, but I do know it happened for a reason or it did
not happen for a reason.

John K Clark

Well, then you have an infinite progression, as then you have to
find a reason for that reason and so on. I guess that this
contradicts with the whole idea of the Big Bang. Or you do not
believe in the Big Bang?

The idea of the Big Bang is that the visible universe evolved to its
 present state from a state of extreme density and temperature. It is
 independent of whether there was a previous state, as in the models
of Andre Vilenkin or those of Sean Carroll, or not as in the
Hartle-Hawking model.

Brent

This still shows that there are physicists who do not believe in

On 20.01.2012 18:21 John Clark said the following:
> but we also know that everything, absolutely positively everything,
> happens for a reason OR it does not happen for a reason.

In other words such a statement does not follow from physics that we know.

Of course it doesn't follow from physics. It follows from the meaning of the words (assuming it refers to things that happen). It's a tautology.

Brent

I have recently listened to Kontroversen in der Philosophie by Prof Hoenen:

http://www.podcasts.uni-freiburg.de/podcast_content?id_content=93

and the question whether the Universe if eternal or not belongs to such
controversies.

Evgenii