On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not talking about fluid flow,

OK

> I'm talking about simulating everything - potential and actual chemical
> reactions, etc.

OK

> Water can be described by multiplying the known interactions of H2O,

But many, probably most, of water's interactions are unknown to this
day. Virtually all of organic chemistry (including DNA reactions!)
involves water somewhere in the chain of reaction, but organic chemistry
is very far from a closed subject, there is still much to learn. Another
example, up to now nobody has derived the temperature that water freezes
at from first principles because the resulting quantum mechanical
equations are so mathematically complicated that nobody has yet figured
out how to solve them.

> DNA would need many more variables.

BULLSHIT!

> Non-Shannon information would be anything that is not directly involved
> in the compression of a digitally sampled description into another digital
> description.

In other words non-Shannon information is gaseous philosophical flatulence.

       > Shannon information is not information in general, it is [...]

Shannon published his work in 1948 but you never even heard about it
until 3 days ago, and now you're a great world authority on the subject
telling us all exactly what it does and does not mean. I don't mind
ignorance, I'm ignorant about a lot of stuff myself, but there is a
certain kind of arrogant aggressive ignorance that I find very distasteful.

In contrast Richard Feynman displayed humble ignorance, he did as much
as anyone to develop Quantum Mechanics but he said "I think it's safe to
say that nobody understands Quantum Mechanics", in describing the work
that won him the Nobel Prize he said he found a way to "sweep
mathematical difficulties under the rug". He also said "I know how hard
it is to really know something; how careful you have to be about
checking the experiments; how easy it is to make mistakes and fool
yourself. I know what it means to know something."

       > Compression and encryption are deformations.

If you can get the exact same file out after compression or encryption
then obviously nothing has been lost and all deformations or shrinkage
are reversible.

       > I understand what you mean completely

Apparently not

       > White noise is called noise for a reason.

And its called white for a reason, a evil occidental mindset
conspiracy created by round eyed white devils.

>> How do you expect mathematics to deal with anything as subjective as
>> quality? A novel that's high quality to you may be junk to me.
>>

> I don't expect mathematics to deal with it. I expect a theory of
> everything to deal with it.

And your way of dealing with it is to say it (bits electrons information
logic etc) does not exist. I would never have guessed that coming up
with a theory of everything could be so easy.

> I'm not a big philosophy or religion fan myself but Wittgenstein,
> Heidegger, Sarte, Foucault, Kierkegaard were recent and had some
> impressive things to say.

As I've said before nearly everything they and all other recent
philosophers say can be put into one of four categories:

1) False.
2) True but obvious, a truism disguised in pretentious language.
3) True and deep but discovered first and explained better by a
mathematician or scientist or someone else who didn't write
"philosopher" in the box labeled "occupation" on his tax form.
4) So bad its not even wrong.

> Here's some sample articles on the subject:

I know how to look up things on Google too, and I wonder how many of the
authors of those articles graduated from high school.

> "Science begins when you distrust experts." - Richard Feynman. You're
> right, I'll trust Feynman.

If you think Feynman would treat your ideas with anything other than
contempt you're nuts. And you should look at the short one minute video
by Feynman called "You don't like it? Go somewhere else!":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMDTcMD6pOw

 John K Clark
YouTube - Videos from this email