So if in your theory life is explainable in terms of a "step from
organic molecule to biological cell", then why is that one could not
make a similar step from a synthetic (silicon, say) substrate to a
synthetic cell?  What is the difference?  Both the organic molecule
and the silicon (or whatever) substrate are subject to the same
electromagnetic (and nuclear etc) forces, so what specifically makes
life possible with one and not the other?

Terren