On Feb 20, 4:41 am, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 19, 10:59 pm, 1Z <peterdjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > That's begging the question. There is no logical basis to claim that
> > > the word supernatural precludes omnipotent control over machines from
> > > being an inevitable outcome of MWI. Supernatural is folk terminology.
> > > It has no relevance in determining phenomenological possibility in
> > > MWI.
>
> > I don;t have to agree that essentiallytechnological
> > control means "god" or "supernaural">
>
> You don't have to agree, but if you are being honest you would have to
> admit that it's irrational. If I can stop your universe, make changes
> to your mind, your memory, your environment, the laws of your universe
> and then start it back up, how does that not make me your God?

You are natural. You can fire a horse through the air usign a giant
catapuilt, but I don't have to agree it's Pegasus.

> > > They wouldn't and couldn't know they were wrong though.
>
> > So? Is appearance reality?
>
> That is what comp says.

Bruno;s theory or the Computational Theory of Mind.

>The simulation is reality as far as the
> simulatees are concerned.

And if they are wrong, it still isn't the
real reality. You seem to be arguing
appearance=reality on the premise that
opinion=truth.

> Appearances may not reflect the truest level
> of the simulation, but appearances all reflect some believable
> representation of the simulation's function.

Believable falsehoods are falsehoods and convincing illusions
still aren't reality

> > > It doesn't
> > > matter who you call 'natural'.
>
> > It matters a great deal what you call anything.
>
> It would if the word natural had some relevant meaning, but even in
> food labeling, that term is notoriously vague. Natural means anything
> that exists. Natural plastic comes from natural petrochemicals.

If you know yourself to be natural, you cannot regard
your creations as supernatural. The denizens of a sim
might regard their programmer as God, but he knows better.

> > "Did  say those mushrooms were nutiritios? Silly me, i mean
> > poisonous".
>
> Poisonous is a term with a more literal meaning. 'Natural' has no
> place in MWI, comp, or the anthropic principle. I'm surprised that you
> would use it. I thought most people here were on board with comp's
> view that silicon machines could be no less natural as conscious
> agents than living organisms.

What we are arguing about is the supernatural. You
do not rescue the supernatural by rendering the natural
meaningless.

> > > Now who is arguing a special case for
> > > natively evolved consciousness?
>
> > I don't know. Who?
>
> You.

No, you have misunderstood.

> > > If I am a simulation, and a programmer watches 'me' and can intervene
> > > and change my program and the program of my universe at will, then to
> > > me they are a true God, and I would be well advised to pray to them.
>
> > "To me"= appearance =/= reality
>
> No. To me = my reality.
 The causes and conditions upon which my
> existence supervenes. If my programmer can make a Bengal tiger appear
> or disappear in my living room, then he is God in reality.

No he isn;t, because reality is where the sim is running and there
he is just a programmer.

>This is
> what comp says.

What do you mean by "comp".

> > > If it is not supernatural for us to build a Turing machine and control
> > > the content of it's 'tape', then it cannot, cannot, can-not be
> > > supernatural for that UM to have its world be controlled by us.
>
> > So? I never said that could no be apparently omnopotent
> > control of a VM. I said it doesn't fit the defintition
> > of supernatural.
>
> That's why I say in MWI + Comp + Anthropic principle, there would
> inevitably be an infinite number of universes in which simulations
> exist with citizens to whom God is real and natural.

"to whom God is real" is just an opinion. If the sim was created
by a human prog. with BO and dandruff, their opinion is wrong.
If MWI is a complete theory of the universe, their opinions
is wrong too.

>There would also
> be infinite MWI UM sub-universes where God is supernatural, sub-
> universes where Gods are aliens, pirates, beercans, Pokemon, etc.

There can;t be any supernatural entities in a physics-based
multiverse.

> > > As
> > > long as the top level programmer is natural and resides in a top level
> > > MWI universe, there can be no limit to their omnipotence over their
> > > programs in comp. To claim supernatural distinctions within an
> > > emulation is to turn the programs into zombies, is it not?
>
> > There is a conceptual distinction between the natural and the
> > supernatural in MWI and computaitonl multiverses, and
> > such that the extension of the concept "superntatural"
> > could likely be empty.
>
> I agree, supernatural is an empty concept in comp.

No, that is not at all an equivlaent claim. There may
be no extension of "magnetic monopole", but it is a meaningful
concept.

> That why I said it
> from the start. Computational simulations can define anything as being
> natural or supernatural.

And they may or may not be right. Opionion does not
trump truth.

> The 'nature' of the simulation is fabricated
> arithmetically.

Is it? Show me. Every sim I have ever seen was
running on silicon.

>You are the one who claimed that Gods are supernatural
> in the first place:

> "> > > Why not? There could an infinite number of the Many Worlds with
> all

> > > QM based MWI woildn't suggest that the supernatural occurs in any
> > > universe. Are you familiar with Tegmark's classification? "
>
> See? I say MWI could have all kinds of Gods (in their simulated sub-
> universes), and you object on the grounds that it would mean something
> 'supernatural'. Not supernatural, artificial.

It would mean somethig supernatural because that is the
way "god" is defined. You might have artificial something-or-others,
but we should invent a new word for them.

> > >They become
> > > the second class citizens that I am criticized for suggesting.

> > > I agree, but comp does not. In comp, reality is only deep appearance.
>
> > Oh good grief. In comp, reality is the lab where the simulation  is
> > running.
>
> I agree, but comp would say that you are confusing levels. Comp says
> that reality is within the computations.

What version of comp? The actual sceintific CToM, or Bruno's
metaphysical weirdness?