On 2/21/2012 8:16 AM, John Clark wrote:
Yes they are different things. And you can have consciousness without intelligent behavior but you can't have intelligent behavior without consciousness; I can't prove that last part but I could not function if I didn't believe it as strongly as I believe anything.

Why not? I think it pretty likely too. But if, for example Watson behaved intelligently I'm not sure I would have to believe it's conscious, at least not in a human way. A robot could behave intelligently but with different values (e.g. no personal ego, think of The Borg) such that I would think its consciousness must be very different.