On 02 Jul 2012, at 19:39, meekerdb wrote:

On 7/2/2012 1:10 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

It is no different than abstracting apples and oranges as fruit so that we can add one apple to one orange and get two fruit. It doesn't make apples and oranges the same thing.

Sure. But it makes both of them being incarnation of fruit, showing that fruit can exist even without apple or without orange.

But then your step 8 is analogous to saying that fruit exists in Platonia, independent of any physical realizations, and then since we can dispense with an physical realization of a fruit, physics is not fundamental but fruit is.

No doubt that the fruits are physical, and biological, and have deep relation with our local constitutions.

I am not saying that physics is not fundamental, in the sense that it determines indeed our local neighborhoods. I am saying that if comp is correct we have the problem to relate the inference made by the machines in those computations coherent with what they experienced, which has to take the complex 1-indeterminacy domain given by UD*, or by elementary arithmetic. But this results in having to derive physics from the comp 1-indeterminacy, the global one, below our substitution level, on UD*, or equivalently the sigma_1 complete part of arithmetic. That is huge, from inside.