On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 5:56 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru> wrote:
> On 03.04.2012 02:06 Stathis Papaioannou said the following:

>> Since there is no evolutionary advantage to consciousness it must be a
>> side-effect of the sort of behaviour that conscious organisms display.
>> Otherwise, why did we not evolve as zombies?
> The evolutionary advantage of consciousness, according to Jeffrey Gray, is
> late-error detection.

But the late-error detection processing could be done in the same way
by a philosophical zombie. Since, by definition, a philosophical
zombie's behaviour is indistinguishable from that of a conscious being
there is no way that nature could favour a conscious being over the
equivalent philosophical zombie. You then have two options to explain
why we are not zombies:

(a) It is impossible to make a philosophical zombie as consciousness
is just a side-effect of intelligent behaviour;
(b) It is possible to make a philosophical zombie but the mechanism
for intelligent behaviour that nature chanced upon has the side-effect
of consciousness.

Though (b) is possible I don't think it's plausible.

Stathis Papaioannou