On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 3:21 AM, David Nyman <da...@davidnyman.com> wrote:
> On 2 July 2012 17:50, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> And one nanosecond after the copying when one receives sensory impulses that
> originated in Moscow and the other   receives sensory impulses that
> originated in Washington neither would be in precisely the first-person
> position they were in before.
>
> What does that have to do with anything?  Is it credible that after all this
> verbiage you have failed to grasp the difference between the first-person
> position of each copy and a third-person description of both copies
> together?  Congratulations, John - you really have succeeded in elevating
> the straw man argument to a level hitherto unsuspected.

I'm pretty sure John understands the argument but he prefers to give
primacy to the objective/third-person viewpoint. The first-person
viewpoint involves an assumption that I am a single person travelling
through time in the forward direction, which when looked at
objectively is an illusion. Some people are offended by illusions.

--
Stathis Papaioannou