2012/7/29 John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>

> On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 6:48 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>  > Is it just the uncertainty due to computational time (which is what
>> I.J. Good seems to mean) in consciousness, or is it uncertainty due to
>> unconscious processes which may spring into consciousness and change your
>> (conscious) mind about which action to take?
>>

> For purposes of this discussion I don't see how the answer to your
> question makes any difference. Unconscious processes just like conscious
> ones happen for a reason, in which case they are deterministic, or they
> happen for no reason, in which case they are random. How the noise "free
> will" produced in the oral cavity of some members of a species called Homo
> sapiens is supposed to fit into all this I have no idea. I've long since
> given up on figuring out if people have "free will" or not and now have a
> more modest goal, I just want to know what the hell the term means; and
> nobody can tell me.

It was explained to you several time, (compatibilist) free will is will
without coercion... I can't even see why it 's so much trouble for you to
understand that. It could be stupid, that does not mean it does not have a
definition compatible with deterministic theories.

It's not related to random or not, but with liberty which is a high level
thing.

Compatibilist free will means it is ****compatible**** with deterministic
theories. When Bruno talks about 3rd person determinism, it is either in
computationalist or MWI framework... which *are* deterministic. When you
answer WTF ?? you don't answer in those theories, if MWI is true (or comp),
then 3p is deterministic.

Quentin