Hi Roger,

    I will interleave some remarks.

On 8/11/2012 7:37 AM, Roger wrote:
Hi Stephen P. King
As I understand it, Leibniz's pre-established harmony is analogous to
a musical score with God, or at least some super-intelligence, as

Allow me to use the analogy a bit more but carefully to not go too far. This "musical score", does it require work of some kind to be created itself?

This prevents all physical particles from colliding, instead they
all move harmoniously together*. The score was composed before the
Big Bang-- my own explanation is like Mozart God or that intelligence
could hear the whole (symphony) beforehand in his head.

I argue that the Pre-Established Harmony (PEH) requires solving anNP-Complete computational problem <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NP-complete_problems> that has an infinite number of variables. Additionally, it is not possible to maximize or optimize more than one variable in a multivariate system <http://www.wellesley.edu/Economics/weerapana/econ300/econ300pdf/lecture%20300-08.pdf>. Unless we are going to grant God the ability to contradict mathematical facts, which, I argue, is equivalent to granting violations of the basis rules of non-contradiction, then God would have to run an eternal computation prior to the creation of the Universe. This is absurd! How can the existence of something have a beginning if it requires an an infinite problem to be solved first? Here is the problem: Computations require resources to run, and if resources are not available then there is no way to claim access to the information that would be in the solution that the computation would generate. WE might try to get around this problem the way that Bruno does by stipulating that the "truth" of the solution gives it existence, but the fact that some mathematical statement or sigma_1 sentence is true (in the prior sense) does not allow it to be considered as accessible for use for other things. For example, we could make valid claims about the content of a meteor that no one has examined but we cannot have any certainty about those claims unless we actually crack open the rock and physically examine its contents. The state of the universe as "moving harmoniously together" was not exactly what the PEH was for Leibniz. It was the synchronization of the simple actions of the Monads. It was a coordination of the percepts that make up the monads such that, for example, my monadic percept of living in a world that you also live in is synchronized with your monadic view of living in a world that I also live in such that we can be said to have this email chat. Remember, Monads (as defined in the Monadology) have no windows and cannot be considered to either "exchange" substances nor are embedded in a common medium that can exchange excitations. The entire "common world of appearances" emerges from and could be said to supervene upon the synchronization of internal (1p subjective) Monadic actions.

I argue that the only way that God could find a solution to the NP-Complete problem is to make the creation of the universe simulataneous with the computations so that the universe itself is the computer that is finding the solution. This idea is discussed by several people including David Deutsch, Lee Smolin, Roger Penrose and Stuart Kaufman in their books. This implies that God's creative act is not a singular event but an eternal process.

I suppose that this accords with Leibniz's belief that God,
whoc is good, constructed the best possible world where
as a miniomum, that least physics is obeyed.

Voltaire's  foolish criticism of Leibniz in Candide that how
could  the volcanic or earthquake disaster in Lisbon be
part of the most perfect world ?

Voltair was a poor fool that could not understand the simple idea that only one variable can be maximized. Perhaps he was not a fool and knew the facts but wanted to discredit Leibniz's superior ideas.

Thus, because physics must be obeyed, sometimes crap happens.

Indeed. One might even argue that the existence of evil in the world is a consequence of choice; that only in a world completely devoid of choice might it be possible for crap to never occur. But this can be shown to have a vanishingly small probability or even zero chance of actually occurring, as 1) the NP-Complete problem would have to first be solved and 2) there would have to be a very happy "accident" where no one ever happen to be doing the actions which would lead them to see evil - given that evil is a valuation that occurs in our minds and is not an actual extant state of the world.

* As a related and possibly explanatory point, L's universe
completely is nonlocal.

Indeed! I argue that L's monadology almost exactly anticipated the concept of a quantum mechanical system, since a QM system by definition is a windowless monad that never exchanges substances with others and is "simple" by L's definition. All notions of interactions in QM are defined internal to single QM systems as the scattering states of its Hamiltonian. This latter idea was explored and written about by Prof. Hitoshi Kitada as found here: http://www.metasciences.ac/Articles/works.html

Roger , rclo...@verizon.net <mailto:rclo...@verizon.net>