On 8/17/2012 1:49 PM, Roger wrote:
Hi Stephen P. King
The possible only exists in this world given enough time.

HI Roger,

I would say that the possible is only expressed and/or actualize in the physical worlds, but it itself must be eternally prior to all expressions.

That is one practical argument against the creation of life in a deterministic world.

I disagree, if only because determinism is only approximate and never absolute. The computational resources required by a Laplacean demon are infinite even if we assume a purely Newtonian universe (which we know that we do not exist in).

Some say 19 billion years of random constructions isn't enough.

Random constructions can only be ergodic. Do not neglect the role of selection that self-reproducing systems engender. This is the concept that creationists ignore to their peril.

Roger , rclo...@verizon.net <mailto:rclo...@verizon.net>
8/17/2012
Leibniz would say, "If there's no God, we'd have to invent him so everything could function."

    *From:* Stephen P. King <mailto:stephe...@charter.net>
    *Receiver:* everything-list <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>
    *Time:* 2012-08-14, 23:17:02
    *Subject:* Re: Earthquakes

    On 8/14/2012 7:37 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

    On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Stephen P. King
    <stephe...@charter.net <mailto:stephe...@charter.net>> wrote:

        On 8/14/2012 10:45 AM, Roger wrote:
        Hi Stephen P. King
        Leibniz' best possible world is a conjecture
        based on L's two worlds of logic:
        1) There is logic that is either always true or false,
        called the logic of reason or necessity.
        One could call this "theory"
        2) The logic of contingency, also called the logic of
        "fact", experimental result,
             or praxis, which can be true or false -- depending on
        the perfection  of the entity
            or the time of occurrence. "actuality"
        Most people who acccuse God of injustice or unfairness by a
        supposedly loving God
        confuse theory with actuality. Earthquakes do occur because
        the world has imperfections
        or  cracks ior the cointinental plaes don't fit perfectly
        together.
        And any fact must be that way for a reason, the reason also
        may be contingent, etc.
        up the line.

    "Everything that is possible demands to exist." -- Leibniz

    If everything possible exists (in Plato's heaven / the omniscient
    mind of God) then so do all universes, all possible histories,
    all possible observations and experiences, all points of view,
    all traces of the execution of all programs, etc.  Thus, if God
    is omniscient, he can't help the fact that bad things happen.

    Jason
    Hi Jason,

        Yes, all that is necessarily possible exists. This makes
    existence neutral and having nothing to do with anything else.
    Properties arise from partitioning portions of what exists against
    each other. Properties, like truth values and locations, are not a
    priori. They are contextual and thus contingent. Existence is not
    contingent on anything other than raw necessary possibility.

-- Onward!

    Stephen

    ~ Francis Bacon

Onward!