From: John Clark
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-18, 11:57:07
Subject: Re: 0s and 1s

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Roger <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

>You're wrong.

It wouldn't be the first time. By the way, it would be helpful it you didn't
change the subject line every time you post, particularly if you post several
dozen times a day.

> Very few if any?igh school students would even believe -- less claim --
> that?ll that we know must come through the senses.

Forget the senses, everything you know comes from the physical operations of
your brain, the firings of your neurons.?

> Your comment about 0s and 1s and ascii characters has nothing to do with
> living experience or thought.

OK let's assume you're right, but *something* has to do with thought and the
experience of living, let's call it Process X. I'm not talking about anything
supernatural that we can never understand,? I'm talking about a perfectly
rational principle that we just haven't discovered yet. There is a lot we don't
know and the human brain is the most complex object in the observable universe,
we've only been studying it for a short time so we may be in for some major
surprises.

If Process X is rational, that means we can use our minds to examine what sort
of thing it might turn out to be. It seems pretty clear that with solving
equations beating Chess grandmasters and winning on Jeopardy information
processing can produce something that's starting to look like intelligence, but
we'll assume that Process X can do this too, and in addition Process X can
generate consciousness and a feeling of self, something you were concerned
about that mere information processing can not do.

What Process X? does is certainly not simple, so it's very hard to avoid
concluding that Process X itself is not simple. If it's complex it can't be
made of only one thing, it must be made of parts. If Process X is not to act in
a random, incoherent way some order must exist between the parts. A part must
have some knowledge of what the other parts are doing and the only way to do
that is with information.

But maybe communication among the parts is of only secondary importance and the
major work is done by the parts themselves. It could be, but then the parts
must be very complex and be made of sub parts. In general an explanation means
showing how something simple can do something complex and the simplest possible
sub part is one that can change in only one way, say, on to off or zero to one.
It's getting extremely difficult to tell the difference between Process X and
information processing.
???
The only way to avoid this conclusion is if there is some ethereal substance
that is all of one thing and has no parts thus is very simple, yet acts in a
complex, intelligent way; and produces feeling and consciousness while it's at
it. If you accept that, then I think the most honest thing to do would be to
throw in the towel, call it a soul, and join the religious camp. I'm not ready
to surrender to the forces of irrationality.

? John K Clark