Hi Roger,

That's just too trivial as a solution, although nothing finally is: the
attractor of dynamical systems and phase space are fascinating, although I
fail to see how the discussion advances through them.

There is something difficult about power/control, even speaking restricting
to linguistic frame. Whether one looks to Teun van Dijk, Norman Fairclough,
Don Kulick... yes, these guys have political axes to grind at times, but I
agree that power/will to control can mask itself as anything and the work
of these linguists is to document and expose how this marks discourse.

Say somebody comes to you with a set of "hundreds of problems" and you lend
a listening ear. It's ambiguous linguistically speaking whether:

1) This somebody really needs your help with his jarring list of problems,
and is prepared to sincerely tackle them, taking your advice into deep
consideration.

2) This somebody is barraging you with messages, out of
desire/power/insecurity, and before one problem has been tackled, has
already jumped to the next because the problems themselves don't really
matter: she/he just wants to be "taken seriously" and feel control, with
you jumping though all of their "problems and questions", necessitated by
solidarity, respect, politeness expectations of discourse.

Number 2) according to most linguists I've read, is force and harm onto
others, publicly, through the media for instance, as well as in private
discourse/messages, and marks its somewhat violent control agenda by no
significant concern for answers or the problems themselves, pretend
follow-up to answers, half listening, and half answering. But it gets
devious/cruel when agenda 2) poses more convincingly as 1).

Thus for now, I remain convinced that the ins and outs of the control
structure "self", as Bruno put it, make agendas inaccessible because
notions of self, are as semantically slippery as they have always been.

My aesthetic sense/intuition/taste, computational or not, doesn't really
consider this to be a problem. It just tells me in Nietzsche style: "No. 1
is beautiful and No.2 is ugly. If you can't distinguish, then you have no
taste- or at least lack some taste, a sense of style and should acquire
some or more, if you want some measure on such problems." Of course, I take
this with a large grain of salt.

But any comments on self, agendas, control welcome. Thanks Robert and Bruno
for yours.

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Roger <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  Hi Platonist Guitar Cowboy and all
>
> The logic of an Agenda is purposeful or goal-oriented, what Aristotle
> called "final causation". where an object is PULLED forward by a goal.
> By what should be.
>
> This is the opposite of "efficient causation", as in determinism,
> in which objects are PUSHED forward.  By what is.

Hi Roger,

It's hard to convince myself of that as a solution, although the attractor
concept of dynamical systems and phase space are fascinating. But I fail to
see how the discussion advances through them.

There is something difficult about power/control, even limiting ourselves
to linguistic frame, barring that we have access to the total set of
possible computations running through our 1p state at any one time. Whether
one looks to Teun van Dijk, Norman Fairclough, Don Kulick... yes, these
guys have political axes to grind at times, but I am somewhat convinced
[...]

is beautiful and No.2 is ugly, bloated, overdose of messages and problems
discourse fluff, posing as No 1) . It's easy, if you subscribe to training
this faculty of your intuition, capacity for aesthetic judgement provides
instant output, instead of assuming blindly you can tell truth from lie.
You can't, you can just better your statistics. If you can't distinguish at
all, then you have no taste- or at least lack some + a sense of style and
should acquire more, if you want some measure on such problems."

Of course, I take this with a large grain of salt and usually give people
benefit of the doubt, as a sort of tribal commitment.

But any comments on self, agendas, control welcome. Thanks Robert and Bruno
for yours.

PGC :)