From: Platonist Guitar Cowboy
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-18, 11:55:26
Subject: Re: On puppet governors

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 15 Aug 2012, at 14:46, Roger wrote:
But humans are not entirely governed from outside, they have their own agendas.

We have a top level agenda: maximise self-satisfaction, and minimize
self-dissatisfaction. This can be programmed in very few lines, but needs a
very long time to bring sophisticated being like us.?

But doesn't concept or computation of "self" makes this statement on self's
agenda much less clear than it looks?

Is "self" some conceptual cartoon or program, like individual isolated humanist
"bag-of-flesh + brain soup", a consumer in a market with bank account, a
career, set of personal experiences, a class idea, is it a tribal idea, or is
it some esoteric notion of "Gaian world soul", a family notion etc.?

Assuming that some form of opportunism is a default operating system or
theology, with a high success rate in this local history/geography, leads to
question: why complicate things with "gods, religions, truth, science, art,
progress, their distinctions" or any other set of ideologies?"

Further, are these attempts at framing "the self's" fundamental operating
processes, merely a sort of Kant transcendental mask for different flavors of
opportunism, a vain ticket to convincing ourselves of increased freedom/slavery?

I wish you all good songs,

PGC aka Mark