On 23 Aug 2012, at 22:01, John Clark wrote:

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 9:48 AM, Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

> If you are a materialist, rejecting God is a perfectly sensible thing to do.

Correct.

> But materialism is bad philosophy, since it ignores the ontological firewall between mind and matter.

I make changes in the matter of your brain and your mind changes. When your mind changes, such as when you figure the coffee cup should be at your lips and not on the table the position of the matter in the coffee cup changes. That's sounds like a pretty BAD firewall, even Microsoft can make a better firewall than that!

> Naturally, it cannot solve the mind/body problem

The hardest part of the mind/body problem is figuring out exactly what the mind/body problem is and what "solving" it is supposed to mean.

A popular subproblem consists in explaining how a grey brain can generate the subjective color perception. With comp a precise subproblem consists in explaining how the appearance of the physical reality emerges from relative statistics on the computations (defined and existing as a consequence of any Turing universal laws, like + and *).

Most religious belief, like the belief in the existence of primary matter, or of mind, or God, etc, can be seen as attempt to clarify, or hide, the mind-body problem.

Another subproblem is the relation of the soul with the body, and the question of the immortality of the souls, etc.

The christian follows Plato, for the soul, and Aristotle for matter, and this leads to difficulties with respect to computer science and computationalism.

Bruno

> and has no clue what mind or God is,

God is dog spelled backward.

> but demands proof of any religious statement or concept.

Science has explained a lot of things, it's true it hasn't explained everything but it's explained a lot, so I don't understand why embracing religion is supposed to help when RELIGION CAN'T EXPLAIN ANYTHING. Science can't explain everything so you want to switch to something that can't explain anything. It's nuts.

> Is that hypocracy or what ?

Its not hypocrisy so it must be what.

 John K Clark