On Saturday, September 1, 2012 12:43:50 PM UTC-4, Alberto G.Corona wrote:
>  *Where is the revulsion, disgust, and blame - the stigma and
> shaming...the deep and violent prejudices? Surely they are not found in the
> banal evils of game theory. ** *
> In the book I referred, it is described the evolutionary role of
> sentiments. Sentiments are the result of mostly unconscious processing. See
> for example the cheating detection mechanism in this book, which has been
> subject to an extensive set of test. and there are many papers about
> cheater detection. cheater detection is a module of logical reasoning
> specialized for situations where a deal can be broken.  It exist because
> cheater detection is critical in some situations and it must necessary to
> react quickly. Its effect is perceived by the conscious as anger of fear,
> depending on the situation.
That's not the point. It doesn't matter how tightly the incidence of
sentiment or emotion is bound with evolutionary function, I would expect
that given the fact of emotion's existence. The problem that needs to be
answered is given a universe of nothing but evolutionary functions, why
would or how could anything like an emotion arise? If you admit that
feeling performs some function that could not be generated otherwise, then
you have invalidated functionalism, since the presumed epiphenomenon of
conscious experience could not be reduced to the physical interaction of
mechanisms. One way or the other you have to explain why everything in the
universe seems to function perfectly well being (presumably) unconscious,
but that human bodies can only function if an entire universe of subjective
experiences is invented out of thin air.