On 04 Sep 2012, at 21:47, benjayk wrote:

Bruno Marchal wrote:

Yes, we simulated some systems, but they couldn't perform the
same function.

A pump does the function of an heart.
No. A pump just pumps blood. The heart also performs endocrine functions, it can react dynamically to the brain, it can grow, it can heal, it can become
infected, etc...

That is correct but not relevant. People do survive with pump at the place of the heart, but of course not perfectly, and have some problems through it. This is due to the fact the substitution level is crude for technical reason. That will be the case with artificial brain or parts of the brain, for a very long time, but is not relevant with the issue which assume only truth "in principle".

Bruno Marchal wrote:

And then another, much bigger step is required in order to say
*everything*/everyone/every part can be emulated.

Indeed. Comp makes this impossible, as the environment is the result
of a comptetion between infinities of universal machine in arithmetic.
See my other post to you sent  yesterday.
Yes, OK, I understand that.
But this also means that COMP relies on the assumption that whatever is not emulable about our brains (or whatever else) does not matter at all to what we (locally) are, only what is emulable matters. I find this assumption completely unwarranted and I have yet to see evidence for it or a reasoning
behind it.

It is a theory. The evidence for it is that, except for matter itself, non computability has not been observed in nature. It is also hard to make sense of darwinian evolution in a non computable framework, as it makes also hard to understand the redundant nature of the brain, and the fact that we are stable for brain perturbations. If you invoke something as elusive as a non computable effect in the brain (beyond the 1p itself which is not computable for any machine from her point of view), you have to give us an evidence that such thing exists. Is it in the neocortex, in the limbic system, in the cerebral stem, in the right brain?

I do speculate that the left brain/right brain might have specialized in the Bp and p part of the soul, in which case the right brain would be the one connecting us to truth, and handling the non computable part of any self-referential machines. Salvia reports and the experience reports of people having a damaged corpus callosum, or a sleepy one during sleep paralysis, seems to confirms this, to some extend.