On 9/7/2012 10:43 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
Hi Stephen P. King
As I see it, if there is an infinite collection of (monadic) points,
all future things foreseen (as in "pre-established harmony")
then nothing new can ever be created or destroyed, things
(including thoughts and people)  just blossom like plants from
seeds and eventually die, but always in the same monad.

Hi Roger,

Here is the problem: a point has no extension therefore it cannot code anything other than its presence or non-presence by its absence. To think of "all future things foreseen (as in "pre-established harmony")" there must be a capacity of each and every monad to have an image of some sort of things, future, past, present, distant, close, whatever. It must have the equivalent of potentially infinite memory. This cannot occur for a point. Therefore, a monad cannot be defined as a point, but it can be similar to a point in having no exterior extensions; it only has internal aspects. All considerations of things "exterior" to a monad are merely defined in terms of relations within, between and among its internal aspects.

Notice that the phrase "pre-established harmony" just popped
naturally into my mind when I visualized the points as overlaid.
Studying Leibniz is like that, it is so logical that it will allow you
to explore without a guide.

It seems likely that you are merely parroting words without fully comprehending their use or meaning.

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net <mailto:rclo...@verizon.net>
9/7/2012
so that everything could function."

    *From:* Stephen P. King <mailto:stephe...@charter.net>
    *Receiver:* everything-list <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>
    *Time:* 2012-09-07, 10:22:37
    *Subject:* Re: The universe as a collection of an infinite number
    of pointscalledmonads

    On 9/7/2012 8:32 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
    Hi Stephen P. King
    I solved this problem my own way by simply asssuming that the
    universe
    from the beginning and  before, as well as now and forever,
    exists as an infinite collection of points (monads).

    Hi Roger,

        I agree with this.

    So no problem
    with the creation of new things.

        No, novelty is not a priori definable, by its very definition
    it cannot be considered to be given from the beginning! OTOH, we
    could stipulate that novelty is a concept that only individual
    monads that are not identical to each other can have, then novelty
    and "creation of new things" in general can be seen in a logically
    consistent  fashion as local transient aspects and not
    pre-ordained  or essence.

    In principle they always were
    and simply grow or unfold when the time calls for it, then
    roll or fold up or whatever at the end of their useful lives.

        Surely!

    In this veiw of reality, all of reality always consists in
    monadic space
    as an overlapping infinite set of points.

        No, that is a contradiction of terms. Monads cannot be defined
    as "an overlapping infinite set of points" because "points" by
    definition have no extension and therefore can never overlap with
    each other. There is no such thing as a "monadic space" which
    might act as a container of multiple and distinct monads. Monads,
    as L defined them, cannot act or exist in that manner. Frankly,
    L's speculations about the "exterior aspects of Monads", found
    later on in his Monadology, papers, may be the consequence of
    drinking too much wine as they are completely inconsistent with
    his careful initial definitions of monads. We are all finite and
    fallible, even geniuses like Leibniz. :-(

-- Onward!

    Stephen

Onward!

Stephen