From: Stephen P. King
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-07, 10:01:22
Subject: Re: Where do numbers and geometry come from ?

On 9/7/2012 7:21 AM, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Stephen P. King

I believe that what is necessarily true (rationally true)
had to be always true and thus a priori.

Dear Roger,

    But this is just a matter of definition. It remains to be explained how the
necessity is achived and how it is so in the many possible worlds.

Man may think he
created numbers or whatever, but whatever was there
before man (to allow physics etc. to happen) something else
had to create. Man simply discovered numbers.

    Certainly we can agree that we have a common concept of "numbers" but they
are not concrete entities that we can locate in our "space" and "time" and do
not have any other properties such as mass, charge, spin, duration. Therefore
we have to not use the same terminology and "common sense" with numbers as we
do with ordinary objects of the world. One of my motivations as a student of
philosophy, is to explore multiple ways to bring the common sense in alignment
with the requirements of abstractions, like numbers and to look forward from
this alignment to see what might be indicated or predicted.

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
9/7/2012
so that everything could function."