On 07 Sep 2012, at 19:12, John Clark wrote:

On Fri, Sep 7 2012, Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

> machines, even computers, IMHO in practice have no intellectual or feeling facilities, are no more than dumb rocks.

Computers may or may not have feelings but that is of no concern to us, if they don't it's their problem not ours;

It might concerns you if the doctor intents to replace your brain by a digital device, or if your daughter want marry a man who did that.

however those "dumb rocks" can and do outsmart us on a regular basis and the list of things they are superior at gets longer every day. The very title of this thread just screams whistling past the graveyard.

> So there is no more communication with God possible than there would be with an abacus.

Now that I agree with 100%, computers are no better at talking to God than a abacus is.

Indeed. Abacus are Turing universal, and so have the same ability than us (assuming comp).