On Tuesday, September 11, 2012 10:49:31 AM UTC-4, rclough wrote:

>  Hi meekerdb
>

> How can you demythify something that actually happened ?
>
> Jesus really died on the cross and was resurrected.

You do know that there are many historians who question the existence of a
historical Jesus. As far as I know, the evidence is spotty and suggests
that he could easily have been a fictional composite of various teachers
who lived in the wake of the Axial Age. I tend to give Jesus and
crucifixion  the benefit of the doubt, but I really have no evidence for
that. Apparently there is no mention of his existence or crucifixion in
Roman history from that time. Who knows? Personally I don't get the point
of the resurrection. He walked around for a while - proving that he
survived death..ok, cool. Then what? He disappears up to heaven, leaving
humanity to its own horrendous devices indefinitely with a promise to
return? I do like what Jesus is quoted as having said. As some point out, "*
Jesus* christ was a bleeding heart, *long*-*haired*, *peace*-*loving*,
anti-establishment, liberal hippie freak with strange ideas".

Craig