From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-08, 05:35:00
Subject: Re: The poverty of computers

On 07 Sep 2012, at 19:12, John Clark wrote:

On Fri, Sep 7 2012, Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

> machines, even computers, IMHO in practice have no intellectual or feeling
> facilities, are no more than dumb rocks.

Computers may or may not have feelings but that is of no concern to us, if they
don't it's their problem not ours;

It might concerns you if the doctor intents to replace your brain by a digital
device, or if your daughter want marry a man who did that.

however those "dumb rocks" can and do outsmart us on a regular basis and the
list of things they are superior at gets longer every day. The very title of
this thread just screams whistling past the graveyard.

> So there is no more communication with God possible than there would be with
> an abacus.

Now that I agree with 100%, computers are no better at talking to God than a
abacus is.

Indeed. Abacus are Turing universal, and so have the same ability than us
(assuming comp).