On 08.09.2012 12:35 Roger Clough said the following:
Hi John Mikes

Here's the dilemma:

Unfortunately, any system -- with the exception of the oil-rich
countries (where fairness would seem to be hard to define) -- that is
completely fair is unsustainable. Capitalism, like it or not, is the
only known way to increase a country's wealth. Fairness decreases a
country's capacity to grow. Darwin would agree.

Cuba and the former soviet union and now europe are good examples.
They all failed in trying to be completely fair or are in the process
of failing.

Soviet Union is a pretty bad example for fairness.

As for Europe, I am not that sure. You may want to compare Germany and the USA. It is not evident for me, which will fail the first.