From: Jason Resch
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-08, 01:52:09
Subject: Re: The poverty of computers

Brent,

Thanks for your reply.

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 11:19 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 9/7/2012 8:43 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

Platonism (or mathematical realism) is the majority viewpoint of modern
mathematicians.

In a survey of mathematicians I know it is an even division. ?f course they are
all methodological Platonists, but not necessarily philosophical ones.

That is interesting.? Among the non-platonists, what schools of thought did you
find most popular?
?

Computationalism (or functionalism) is the majority viewpoint of cognitive
scientists and philosophers of mind. ?hus the scientific consensus is that
infinite (mathematical) truth

Except mathematical truth is just a marker, T, whose value is preserved by the
rules of logic. ?hether a proposition that has T corresponds with any fact is
another question.

Functionalism maintains that so long as the same relations are preserved,
whether they be relations between neurons, silicon circuits, ping pong balls,
objects in other possible universes, objects in a mathematical structure, or
the integers themselves, the same brain state will result.? If one subscribes
to Platonism, then there exist mathematical objects that possess the same
relations that exist in our brains, and if one subscribes to functionalism,
these platonic instances of our brains would not be zombies but fully conscious.
?

is the self-existent cause and reason for our existence.

That is very far from a scientific consensus.

I agree, few realize it.? Not many mathematicians are also philosophers of
mind, but does it not follow from platonism+functionalism?
?
?'d say majority the opinion among scientists who are philosophically inclined
is that mathematics and logic are languages in which we create models that
represent what we think about reality.

Perhaps, but this wouldn't be platonism,? Many scientists probably are unaware
that that formalism failed and that mathematical truth transcends any
description, which is why it is better to look at the consensus of domain
experts.? A biologist probably isn't the best person to ask about whether there
is one universe or many.
?
?his explains why there can be contradictory mathematical models and even
mutually inconsistent sets of axioms and rules of inference.

This is no different than the existence of contradictory and inconsistent
physical theories.? We arrive at better axiomatic systems for explaining truth
about the numbers in the same way we arrive at better physical theories for
explaining truth of the natural world.? Some turn out to be more powerful,
explain more, etc, and we stick with them until a better one comes along.
?

Few people today have realized that this is inevitable conclusion of these two
commonly held beliefs.

Not only that a few people have rejected it.

?
Sure, many people reject Bruno's UDA, but has anyone shown the error in its
reasoning?

Jason