On 9/8/2012 11:34 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
On 08.09.2012 15:27 Stephen P. King said the following:
On 9/8/2012 9:12 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

I would say that the image in the mirror is a visual illusion
created presumably by the brain. Don't you agree? Then it is
exactly a relationship between mental and physical states but not
in the form of ideas but rather images.

Evgenii

Hi Evgenii,

Yes I agree. What essential difference is there between ideas and
images?

An idea could be "red" for example. Yet, I am not sure how to describe the three dimensional world with "spatial extension to the perceived horizon and dome of the sky" that I observe as an idea.

Evgenii

Hi Evgenii,

I will try to explain. An idea is an "abstract image", IMHO. For example, consider all possible objects that have some thing that could be recognized as "being red". We form an equivalence class from this with the equivalence relation "red". Thus Red is the equivalence relation on the equivalence class of all possible objects that have some thing that could be recognized as "being red". This should hold for *any* abstract and shows a fundamental relationship between the concrete and the abstract. Category theory offers a wonderful set of tools to analyze these kind of concepts.

--
Onward!

Stephen