Hi Craig Weinberg

I think that the perceiver must be a lot like the creator in
terms of its not being an endless regress of homunculi.
There has to be either a stopping point or an entrance to
the nonphysical from the physical, the unextended
from the extended.

Platonia's  All is such an entity.
Another might be the limit in terms of size of what a substance is.
For you can't seem to get any smaller than Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle,
which would be a stopping point.

Leibniz speaks in terms of reflectors.

Elsewhere, perhaps in Leibniz, the perceiver is characterized as
being a unity, a whole, a point of focus.  It must
also be very wideband, to take in much at one glance.
And allow info coming in from many directrions and angles at once.

Maxwell's Demon also seems to be at least part of a candidate.
And I have guessed that intelligence itself must be the perceiver.

C'mon materialists, knock yourselves out !

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
9/10/2012
so that everything could function."