On Thursday, September 13, 2012 3:58:21 PM UTC-4, John Clark wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>
> > wrote:
>
> > This is the symbol grounding problem pointed out by Searle's Chinese Room
>>

> I've said it before I'll say it again,  Searle's Chinese Room is the
> single stupidest thought experiment ever devised by the mind of man. Of
> course even the best of us can have a brain fart from time to time, but
> Searle baked this turd pie decades ago and apparently he still thinks its
> quite clever, and thus I can only conclude that John Searle is as dumb as
> his room.

The only way that you can think that it's stupid is if you don't understand
it. It's the same thing as Leibniz Mill. His particulars may be a bit more
elaborate than they need to be, but the point he makes is the same that has
been made before by many others: The map is not the territory. The menu is
not the meal.

To my mind, the fact that you have particular animus toward the Chinese
Room can only be because on some level you know that it is a relatively
simple way of proving something that you are in deep denial about. Why else
would it bother you in particular? Are there other philosophical arguments
that bother you like this?

Craig