On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Statistically, shouldn't we see this simple 1K sequence frequently in
> nature? I mean precisely. Shouldn't there be hundreds of species of beetle
> that have patterns on their backs which are derived exclusively from the
> Mandelbot set.

There's nothing special about the Mandelbrot Set, it's just the first
example found where huge complexity can be generated from very little. And
if you want to see what can be done with a 400 meg file just look in a
mirror, that's about the size of the human genome; you could burn the
entire thing onto a CD and still have room for 100 pop songs from iTunes.

  John K Clark