On 9/15/2012 8:44 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
Hi Stephen P. King
I believe that all or much of the brain calculations are done
aurally, phonetically. That has to be since we have to
be able to understand and create vocal language.
Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net <mailto:rclo...@verizon.net>
9/15/2012
so that everything could function."

Dear Roger,

I agree with you but what happens if the parts of the brain that implement the aural type computations are miswired? You get dyslexia, a condition that I am very familiar with as I have it. I process ideas visually and proprioceptively. Ideas have a "look and feel" to them that cannot be exactly translated into words...

    *From:* Stephen P. King <mailto:stephe...@charter.net>
    *Receiver:* everything-list <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>
    *Time:* 2012-09-14, 11:52:52
    *Subject:* Re: imaginary numbers in comp

    On 9/14/2012 6:38 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
    > Hi John Clark
    >
    > The difference is that a computer has no intelligence, cannot
    > deal with qualia, and is not alive.
    Dear Roger,

         You are assuming ab initio that a computer has no capacity
    whatsoever of "reflecting upon" its computations and to possible
    be able
    to report on its meditation. You might say that you are intelligent
    exactly because you assume that you have this capacity.

    > My brain has all of these features in spades.
    >
    > ibniz would say, "If there's no God, we'd have to invent him
    > so that everything could function."

    > From: John Clark
    > Receiver: everything-list
    > Time: 2012-09-13, 13:15:54
    > Subject: Re: imaginary numbers in comp
    >

    > On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
    >

    >> I reject comp, because it cannot access feelings or qualities
    > And you have deduced this by using the "nothing but" fallacy:
    even the largest computer is "nothing but" a collection of on and
    off switches. Never mind that your brain is "nothing but" a
    collection of molecules rigorously obeying the laws of physics.

--
Onward!

Stephen