On 9/20/2012 6:54 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
Hi meekerdb

I would say that one necessary ability for
life is for an organism to be able to separate itself off
from its environment and thus to be able to make its
own decisions without outside interference. In
other words, to be autonomous.

Materialism provides no such focussing tool.
I would call that tool a self, primitive though it may be.

Roger Clough,rclo...@verizon.net 9/20/2012
Dear Roger,

What are the necessary requirements for a Self? What defines "autonomy"? I think that it is closure of some kind.

--
Onward!

Stephen