On Tuesday, September 25, 2012 3:19:40 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:
>  No process or substance, function or form is remotely a substitute for
> consciousness.
> Well that will be a greatly relief to those engineers producing
> aritificial intelligences.  They won't have to worry about the ethical
> implications of producing a conscious being.  I'll give'm your email, so
> you can reassure them.

None of them are really worried anyhow, because underneath it all, part of
them knows that what they are producing doesn't know the difference between
being powered on and turned off. If there was even a hint of actual
concern, people would be up in arms as they are about stem cells and people
would be arrested for aborting a function call.