On 9/20/2012 7:41 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 20 Sep 2012, at 12:54, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi meekerdb

I would say that one necessary ability for
life is for an organism to be able to separate itself off
from its environment and thus to be able to make its
own decisions without outside interference. In
other words, to be autonomous.

Materialism provides no such focussing tool.
I would call that tool a self, primitive though it may be.

You really should study computer science, as the self is a solved problem. Bot the 3p-self, and the non nameable 1p-self.

Bruno

Dear Bruno,

Did you mean "both the 3p-self and the non-nameable 1p-self"? How does the 1p-self name itself? Can the the non-nameable 1p-self be approximately named with an integration of an uncountable set of names?

--
Onward!

Stephen