On 9/25/2012 8:26 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
Hi Stephen P. King

I don't deny that a computer can optimize itself,
but I deny that the operation is autonomous,
meaning independent, for ultimately it is software
dependent, using a program written by an outsider.

Hi Roger,

Please think a while about that "independence" means here. How could you even know of the existence of a think that is completely independent of you? Autonomy, independence, etc. are "relative" terms in the sense that there is always an implied "ideal" condition and/or context that we can define them and all of their "weakened" versions.

True intelligence and true consciousness must be
to whatever extent possible independent of outside
help or perspective.

Sure, but is that even possible given the necessary requirements of consciousness? Does consciousness need to have as its object more than just itself? How does even a "consistent solipsist" know that it exists?

Isn't the self 1p ? not sure.

    The self is 1p, by definition.

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
9/25/2012