From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-24, 10:45:01
Subject: Re: questions on machines, belief, awareness, and knowledge

On 24 Sep 2012, at 16:39, Stephen P. King wrote:

> On 9/24/2012 9:34 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
>> Hi meekerdb
>>
>> The computer can mechanically prove something,
>> but it cannot know that it did so. It cannot
>> sit back with a beer and muse over how smart it is.
>>

> Hi Roger,
>
> What you are considering that a computer does not have is the
> ability to model itself within its environment and compute
> optimizations of such a model to guide its future choices. This can
> be well represented within a computational framework and it is
> something that Bruno has worked out in his comp model. (My only beef
> with Bruno is that his model is so abstract that it is completely
> disconnected from the physical world and thus has a "body" problem.)

But that is the "scientific success" of the comp theory (not
"model") : it reduces the mind body problem to a body problem, in a
precise realm, with a technic to extract the "laws of bodies", making
comp an utterly scientific, in Popper sense, theory. You still miss
the point. The body problem is not a defect, it is the main success of
comp.