From: Stephen P. King
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-24, 10:39:14
Subject: Re: questions on machines, belief, awareness, and knowledge

On 9/24/2012 9:34 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
> Hi meekerdb
>
> The computer can mechanically prove something,
> but it cannot know that it did so. It cannot
> sit back with a beer and muse over how smart it is.

Hi Roger,

     What you are considering that a computer does not have is the
ability to model itself within its environment and compute optimizations
of such a model to guide its future choices. This can be well
represented within a computational framework and it is something that
Bruno has worked out in his comp model. (My only beef with Bruno is that
his model is so abstract that it is completely disconnected from the
physical world and thus has a "body" problem.)

--
Onward!

Stephen