From: Roger Clough
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-10-02, 05:43:40
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Attacking the brain transplant experiment

Hi Stathis Papaioannou

The self is not the brain, which is objective.
The self is the subjective or personal view of what the brain does.

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
10/2/2012

From: Stathis Papaioannou
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-10-01, 19:20:12

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 3:37 AM, Roger Clough wrote:

> A brain in a vat would probably have an autonomous self,
> which is needed for everything the brain does.
>
> I don't see how an autonomous self can be present in
> a computer, because autonomous means it can't depend
> on anything--- especially not hardware or software.
>
> Let me also say it this alternate way. The output
> of an algorithm (let's say a choice, given an input)
> is always dependent on what the algorithm did.
> And algorithms are software.

In that case a brain can't be autonomous either, since it depends on
hardware (the matter the brain) and software (encoded in the brain
through experience).

--
Stathis Papaioannou