On Sunday, September 30, 2012 10:55:34 AM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 10:39 PM, Roger Clough
> <rcl...@verizon.net<javascript:>>
> wrote:
> >
> > Only life evolves, and steel claws, being made of steel, are not alive,
> > at least in the ordinary sense (Leibniz believed that everything in
> > the universe is alive). So what you propose couldn't happen.
>
> Sea shells are made of calcium carbonate, which is not alive in the
> ordinary sense, and yet they evolved and became extremely common.

But it is the organism which builds the shell, not the shell that builds
the organism. In theory I don't see why an organism couldn't at least
produce an iron shell in the same way, but I don't presume that is at all
correct. The lack of iron shelled organisms would suggest that there is
some other reason. When you say that it's just because it was easier for
things to evolve the way they did, I don't see any difference between that
and what I am saying, which is that biological quality experiences may not
be so easy or even possible to access without biology as it has actually
evolved.

Craig