From: meekerdb
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-10-09, 13:07:29
Subject: Re: Zombieopolis Thought Experiment

On 10/9/2012 7:17 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 08 Oct 2012, at 19:35, meekerdb wrote:

On 10/8/2012 8:42 AM, John Clark wrote:
2) Intelligent behavior is NOT associated with subjective experience, in which
case there is no reason for Evolution to produce consciousness and I have no
explanation for why I am here, and I have reason to believe that I am the only
conscious being in the universe.

There's a third possibility: Intelligent behavior is sometimes associated with
subjective experience and sometimes not.  Evolution may have produced
consciousness as a spandrel, an accident of the particular developmental path
that evolution happened upon.  Or it may be that consciousness is necessarily
associated with only certain kinds of intelligent behavior, e.g. those related
to language.

Consciousness is when you bet in your consistency, or in a reality, to help
yourself.

Consciousness precedes language, but follows perception and sensation. It
unifies the interpretation of the senses, making the illusion possible.

What illusion?  The illusion of self?