On 10/9/2012 7:17 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 08 Oct 2012, at 19:35, meekerdb wrote:

On 10/8/2012 8:42 AM, John Clark wrote:
2) Intelligent behavior is NOT associated with subjective experience, in which case there is no reason for Evolution to produce consciousness and I have no explanation for why I am here, and I have reason to believe that I am the only conscious being in the universe.

There's a third possibility: Intelligent behavior is sometimes associated with subjective experience and sometimes not. Evolution may have produced consciousness as a spandrel, an accident of the particular developmental path that evolution happened upon. Or it may be that consciousness is necessarily associated with only certain kinds of intelligent behavior, e.g. those related to language.

Consciousness is when you bet in your consistency, or in a reality, to help

Consciousness precedes language, but follows perception and sensation. It unifies the interpretation of the senses, making the illusion possible.

What illusion?  The illusion of self?