From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-10-10, 13:41:23
Subject: Re: Only you can know if you actually have intelligence

On 10 Oct 2012, at 14:23, Roger Clough wrote:

> Hi Stathis Papaioannou
>
> You can be tested for intelligence,

You can be tested for competence, only. Not for intelligence.

Not for consciousness, either.

You can test locally for non-intelligence, in front of a repeated
mistakes.

Intelligence is an emotional thing, related with a form of self-
insatisfaction. It can have variate qualities.

> but the
> enduring solipsist problem shows that you cannot
> be tested for consciousness.

You can test only relative competence. You can appreciate
intelligence, but it depends on your own.

Competence is conceptually simple, but hard in practice.
Intelligence is conceptually difficult, and hard in practice.
Consciousness is conceptually difficult, but easy in practice.

> At least nobody seems to have
> come up with such a test.

Such a test does not even make sense. I think.

Bruno