On Saturday, October 13, 2012 8:05:26 PM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> > Since we know that our consciousness is exquisitely sensitive to
> particular
> > masses of specific chemicals, yet relatively tolerant of other kinds of
> > chemical changes, it suggests that we should strongly suspect that COMP
> is a
> > fantasy.
>
> That proves nothing. Any machine will be sensitive to small physical
> changes of one kind and tolerant of other changes. If you introduce a
> little bit of saline into the brain nothing will happen, if you
> introduce inside an integrated circuit it will destroy it.

But if you introduce digital saline into a program, even if there is an
effect that we can imagine is destruction, we can just restore from a
backup. No actual destruction has taken place. The question of COMP deals
not with physical computing devices versus biological organisms, but logic
which is independent of all forms of matter, energy, space, and time.

Craig