On 16 Oct 2012, at 15:05, Stephen P. King wrote:

On 10/16/2012 8:33 AM, Richard Ruquist wrote:
Philosophers such as Lucas, Hofstadter and Chalmers as well as Penrose
and Godel suggest that consciousness may be due to incompleteness
itself allowing for emergence...
Hi Richard,

I only have one beef with your thesis, you over rely on a "theory" that has yet to have a single physically testable prediction! IMHO, it would be better to think of all that super- geometry as nothing more than beautiful mathematics until that day that we actually find a squark or photino.

Hofstadter is 100% correct on Gödel.
Lucas and Penrose are incorrect on Gödel.

All details are in "conscience and mechanism".

In fact the löbian machine "naturally" refutes the Gödelian argument against mechanism.

But, I am OK, for obvious reason for those who have studied sane04 or my older papers that incompleteness plays a major role in both the explanation of consciousness and its origin, and the explanation where the laws of physics come from (and are divided into sharable first person plural quanta, and the non sharable qualia).

I use Solovay theorem, which gives the strongest precision possible on Gödel's incompleteness possible, as it characterize the logic of the true and provable self-reference (G) and the true but non provable self-referential statement (G*).