<SNIP>

ROGER: > 2) I can be aware of having experiences that occur in a specific
temporal order only if I perceive
> something permanent by reference to which I can determine their
> temporal order. (premise)

RUSSELL: What motivates this premise?

ROGER: >  The permanent entity could be the first event.

(previously) > 3) No conscious state of my own can serve as the permanent
entity by reference to which
> I can determine the temporal order of my experiences. (premise)

RUSSELL: Even assuming 2), what motivates this premise?

ROGER: Temporal order means that, besides images of perceived events, recording
an intuition of time passing is necessary.

(previously) > 4) Time itself cannot serve as this permanent entity by
reference to which I can
> determine the temporal order of my experiences. (premise)

RUSSELL: Well, I don't accept an objective concept of time anyway, so I have
no problem with this, although I don't see why this should hold,
assuming an objective (eg Newtonian) concept of time is valid.

> (5) If (2), (3), and (4), are true, then I can be aware of having experiences
> that occur in a
> specific temporal order only if I perceive persisting objects in space
> outside me by reference
> to which I can determine the temporal order of my experiences. (premise)

Yes, I can see this follows.