Hi Hal Ruhl

Those are objective features of life, but IMHO

a) life is subjective not objective.

b) life is intelligence itself.

c) intelligence governs an objective body.

d) intelligence is the ability to make choices on one's own,
    without outside help or rules.

e) The above is another way of saying that life has free will.

f) Free will need not be entirely free.

g) Live is not driven entirely by effective causes (from below or from phjysics)
     by what is called entelechy, the drive to realize itself.

h) Life is partly driven by final causes (goal-seeking)

i) Self-animation results from this entelechy.

j) All of the above are properties of monads.

k) Monads are the descriptors or identities of corporeal bodies.

l) Consequently all of nature is alive (is intelligent) to varying
    degrees.

m) There are many more properties of monads given
    in Leibniz's "Monadology".

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
11/2/2012